Monday, December 6, 2010

No Contest

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday (we all really needed the break, I'm sure)!

Other Art Teacher and I got the art show hung just before school let out for Thanksgiving and just in time for literacy night, so we had a lot of traffic through that hallway.  It was wonderful!  We were hearing a lot of feed back about how good our 1st and 2nd graders did and how great the hall looks with all that art up.  Our superintendent even got to see the kids efforts, which is pretty great I think.







Definitely great effort and a lot of fun.  I'm looking forward to the spring art shows.  On an unrelated note, ever since Other Art Teacher and I had the kids participate in the Arkansas Endangered Species art contest, I often get asked, "What do we get if we win?"  Sorry kiddos, but you don't get anything, because it's not a contest.

Last week I really started to develop some lesson ideas for the parts of the frameworks I have yet to cover (thanks to my handy-dandy check list).  I'm still feeling incredibly awkward about how I want to organize my lesson plans.  Do I make units based on the principles and elements?  Do I group them on techniques?  There seem to be a million permutations I could use, but as yet I haven't found something comfortable.  It doesn't help that because I started working with TAB this year, I feel even more  random and scattered than usual.

I'm doing robots again with my 1st graders.  It's lots of fun!  But this year, with TAB, I'm presenting the lesson to the whole group and then offering the actual creation of paper robots as a "project center".  So I work with up to six kids at a time on the robots and the other kids do their own thing.  (Or maybe I'll end up with robots from the other centers too, who knows!)  2nd grade is working on a short color unit, and my 3rd graders are doing winter landscapes.

It's 4th grade that's really fun and fantastic so far.  After working out a few more behavior issues with my wild bunch, we were able to finally start coloring the murals last week.  Aside from one group's mishap with a cup of water (!), things seem to be going great.  The kids are still really into it, and I'm looking forward to critiques and hanging up their "murals", not to mention officially opening the mural center.  (Right now, the kids do have center choice for how they color their murals.)

Speaking of which, I really need to open my fabric center soon.  It'll probably be after Christmas, but that gives me time to figure out placement, supplies, and lesson plans.

1 comment:

  1. Your art panels you made with the black paper have worked out very nicely for your recent show. Great job.

    ReplyDelete