Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sketchbooks, Sketchbooks Everywhere


Whew!  Two weeks of school done with...waaaay more to go.  I wanted to blog before now, but it's been super busy these last few weeks.  I am so ready for Labor Day weekend!

I've got a full load of 1st and 2nd graders this year (Other Art Teacher traded me some of her 1st grade classes), nearly as many 3rd graders and one 4th grade class, as per usual. (I'm sure they'll love being the only 4th graders--more stuff for them in centers.)  They're all pretty good classes so far, and my most troublesome is--thankfully--not troublesome in terms of misbehavior so much as being loud, excited, and bright.  They tucker me out, but it'll be a fun class all the same.


I have, however, already had to break up a physical fight this year (although, it was less of a fight, more of a random attack and attempted beat-down).  During the middle of explaining the day's project and less than six feet from me, no less.  Stressful.

So, projects.

This year, Other Art Teacher and I (as may have been mentioned before) are making a better effort to align our curriculum.  We decided to start this year off with sketchbooks.  Rubber band sketchbooks to be precise.  I don't have much experience with book making, but Other Art Teacher has taken a few workshops on the subject and gave me some info and ideas. I cut paper like nobody's business last week, and the kids got to decorate and punch holes in their covers.  This week we are finishing up by actually assembling the sketchbooks.

I know little hands have issues with fine motor control.  It's good for them to work on it, but yesterday would not be a great day to repeat.  I did, however, learn some do/don't do senarios for this project.  It boils down to this:  have the kids free-draw while I rotate from table to table helping kids put their sketchbooks together.  Right now, I've managed to keep my involvement down to making sure the holes are aligned and holding the book in place so the kids can stick the rubber band through and place their stick.  Every so often I and my trusty hole punch need to make an adjustment or two.

On a side note, rubber band books are kind of fantastic.  They're easy to make (well, for an adult or older child) and can have paper taken out or added quickly.  You stick one end of the rubber band through the first hole and put the stick in the little loop on the other side.  Pull the rubber band across the back to the next hole, push it through and loop it over the other end of the stick.  Voila, it is done!

Next week Other Art Teacher and I are going to do a small lesson on sketchbooks - what they are and how they are used, what a sketch really is, et cetera.  Then we'll go walk-about with the kids and do some observational sketching (hopefully outside, if the weather permits).  Normally, we'd be introducing centers, but next week is short on account of Labor Day, and to be honest, I really like the idea of doing an actual sketching/sketchbook lesson.

We'll see how it goes; I still feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment