Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Hero...

Ohhh Spring Break, how I miss you.  It went by far too quickly, and I have learned what the worst day of the year is:  the following Monday.  I was pretty exhausted, which didn't help (for the curious, check my lj here.)

We had parent-teacher conferences today, and so it was certainly long.  I don't get parent or student visitors, and the time is generally spent working in the classroom.  It did afford me the opportunity to take down the snowflake mobiles my second graders did; I promised I would give them back after Spring Break.  Tomorrow I'll take pictures of them.

Shortly after arriving at the elementary from the kindergarten, I was paged by the office to receive a phone call.  Jodie, who is one of the secretaries at the kindergarten building told me that Dr. Warren, our Superintendent, wanted to see me.  Do you ever get that feeling in your gut, like you expect to turn around and find it laying on the floor because it's fallen out?  I sort of felt like that, only less dramatic.  I also had people sing-songing in the background that I was 'in trouuuubllllle'.  Those ladies crack me up.

As I have mentioned before, the "artroom" at the kindergarten is a stage.  I have no access to water, and so, just before we all left for break, I submitted a grant proposal for the money to buy a portable sink and accessories.  They're expensive, usually running anywhere from $700-$2000.  So no way can my art budget ever cover the cost.  When I arrived at the administration building, Dr. Warren had my proposal and was basically saying that it was ridiculous and unacceptable (though of course far less bluntly said), and my first thought was that I needed to rewrite it or something.  But, as it turns out, I was pleasantly surprised.

Dr. Warren, who told me she didn't even realize one could get portable sinks, said that the grant was unnecessary as I should have already had a sink, and I was to fill out a requisition form to be turned in as soon as possible.   They're going to buy my sink for me, no fuss, no muss.  When I was told I had to see Dr. Warren, I had no idea that it was going to be something so absolutely fabulous!  I was seriously squealing like a little girl on the inside.  I still am!  Dr. Warren is totally my new hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment