Thursday, April 8, 2010

The No Good, Very Bad Day (but at Least it Wasn't Raining)

I think my kindergartners have a contender for the title of "The Challengers". I have just finished royally chewing out my 1st graders. And I gnawed a little on the fourth graders the other art teacher has (using my classroom). The poor things looked a little shocked, but they were treating their sub quite rudely.

Deep breathes, Underwood. Deep breathes.

Been having trouble with this class for several weeks now (since Christmas in fact), and they've had several instances of very disruptive behavior which was addressed first by putting their heads down and then by writing, as in this post.

Today was just the icing on the cake, the proverbial straw, my last nerve et cetera et cetera.  To even be heard (because counting down, ringing the bell, and standing quietly waiting for silence did little to provoke much more than several shushes and a return to previous deafening levels of sound) I had to yell so loudly they probably heard me the next county over. I marched them back into the hall to line up and chewed them out (which was witnessed by their teacher to boot). The final verdict is that they will no longer be doing art, they will be writing about art instead.

Joy.

Now I'm at the kindergarten, and these kids have been hit with a serious case of Spring craziness. I tried, but nothing was getting done. We came outside instead much like the other classes (as much because of general insanity as because the teachers are having a meeting).

The sun is shining, there's a nice cool breeze (80 degree weather this week, geeze), and this group of kids will be having art tomorrow, too, so why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment